Imagine yourself managing and leading people in the future. Where could you be?
Below is a 5-minute video with Malcolm and Steph.
Plan your career development by looking into the future
In contrast to looking from where you are right now, putting yourself in the future and looking back is a great way to develop your own career development strategy.
Five years from now, you will be a much more confident manager, much more aware of your own capabilities than those of others.
As a result, you will feel more confident about your abilities.
As part of this course, you will be trained as a professional manager and leader.
In fact, it opens up a whole range of opportunities for you, because if, for example, you are a manager in a plastics company, it doesn’t matter whether you want to move into pharmaceuticals, because if you are a very good leader, it almost doesn’t matter what industry you are in.
As an example, I spent 20 years in the telecommunications industry. One of my most successful roles was as chief operating officer for a pharmaceutical company. I have no knowledge of pharmaceuticals, but I’m a very good leader and manager, and that gives me transferrable skills.
Identifying your leadership capabilities and developing a plan for acquiring them in the future
Additionally, it will give you a better understanding of what your capabilities are and more confidence to be honest with yourself about those capabilities.
A career typically begins with developing technical and functional competencies around a specific area of expertise, such as accounting or marketing.
The higher you climb the corporate ladder, the less important those skills are, and the more important your leadership skills become.
The course may well reveal to you that your forte is making connections.
Managing people, stakeholders, and even personal projects
Relationship-building with colleagues, customers, and other stakeholders. Seniority makes these skills more valuable than they are at a more junior level.
Your investment now will allow you to develop skills that will be highly valued as you advance in your career. You’ll also have the opportunity to advance to more senior positions.
The other thing this does is that you might well end up sitting where Steph and I do in a few years time since one of the reasons I, and I am sure Steph, do this is to keep up with technology.
Helping others to develop themselves and advance in their careers gives me such a buzz.
Having the knowledge, finding someone in your team that you think you can help develop, and then seeing them perhaps go through this same course five years later, because you’ve gone through it, and seeing them progress is what drives me to do both management consultancy and training or teaching.
With this course, you are always able to give back.
Gain confidence in uncertain times
Having a level of certainty in one’s life is also very valuable because we live in uncertain times.
Even if it’s just for one aspect, right? By going through the course and obtaining these skills and credentials, there is a level of certainty that you have, not only that you can manage this team or bring your skill set to the table, but that you can transfer that skill set to another job as well.
Leadership or managing a team isn’t the only thing you need to learn. Interpersonal skills, cultural references, time management, understanding of one’s self, and all those self-actualizing skills that are at the core of being a good leader are so valuable in other fields, especially other jobs.
Once you have this level of confidence in what you’re doing, you can give back in so many ways. It’s not just about your job and promoting others and supporting those around you, but even in your community.
Related Courses and Qualifications
- See ALL Management & Leadership qualifications accredited by the Chartered Management Institute
- Qualifications for aspiring and middle managers; CMI Level 5 Diploma in Management and Leadership
- Qualifications for senior managers and leaders; CMI Level 7 Diploma in Strategic Management and Leadership Practice
- For professional Marketers; Marketing qualifications accredited by the Chartered Institute of Marketing
Related Articles – Study Advice
- Study advice (video): Invest your time now to become a better, stronger and more versatile future leader
- Study advice (video): Imagine yourself managing and leading people in the future. Where could you be?
- Study advice (video): Is it worth investing your money on a Chartered Management Institute Qualification?
- Study advice: How to balance study and family life
- Study advice: What does the Chartered Management Institute do? What is a CMI Qualification?
Related Articles – Career Progression & Personal Development
- See ALL insights and articles on the Management and Leadership blog
- Personal Development: How to stop holding yourself back
- Career Progression (video): Are you familiar with the language of management and leadership? Management speak explained
- Career Progression: Important steps on preparing for a performance appraisal review
- Career Progression: How to perform at your best during an interview for a management position
START BY REGISTERING BELOW
Key information points delivered to your inbox
Stay up-to-date with course updates and upcoming start dates
Take advantage of our free 14-day trial
Fill out the form below to get started
– To view detailed module breakdowns and important course information, download our information pack
– See pricing options and find out how you can access funding to support the course fees
– Get advice on your CV and what level of study is best for you