There are a number of different types of questions that you might be asked in a marketing manager interview.
Some will be designed to understand a little about you, your motivations and what you are passionate about.
Some will be specifically about your understanding and experience of marketing and any specialist areas and skills.
And as it is a manager level role, you’ll be asked about your experience in working and managing others.
Here are some general questions you might be asked in connection with your application:
- Why are you applying for this role?
- Why do you want to work at this company?
- What is your understanding of marketing?
- What makes you passionate about working in marketing?
- What do you do in your current role?
- What have you learned about our company so far?
- What are your long-term career goals?
- Can you tell me about yourself – answered at the end of this post.
Marketing manager questions
Here are some questions aimed at uncovering your marketing knowledge and experience in respect to a Marketing Manager role:
- What do you think marks out good marketing managers from great ones?
- How do you ensure that your marketing activities are aligned with the overall marketing strategy and goals?
- How do you become an expert on the products or services you are marketing?
- How do you gain a deep understanding of your target audience?
- What channels and platforms do you use to reach potential customers?
- What marketing tools and technology do you typically use?
- How do you collect and evaluate requests and feedback?
- Tell me about a recent program or campaign you planned.
- How do you measure the success of campaigns?
Specific marketing role questions
Depending on the focus of the role you are interviewing for, here are some specific role questions you can expect:
- How do you boost a company’s visibility in the market?
- What skills do you need to succeed in communications?
- How do you build relationships with members of the media?
- How do you work with industry analysts?
- How do you measure the success of your outreach efforts?
Content marketing questions:
- Tell me about a time you created a content plan. What was the outcome?
- How do you build and manage an editorial calendar?
- Describe your experience creating blog posts, email newsletters, landing pages, and videos.
- What types of content do you love creating the most?
- How do you ensure that all content is on brand?
- How do you handle tight deadlines?
- How do you measure the success of your content efforts?
- Tell me about a time you created or implemented a digital marketing strategy. What was the outcome?
- Which digital channels do you have the most experience using?
- How do you increase conversion rates and improve the cost per lead?
- What analytics tools do you use to monitor real-time traffic data?
- What skills do you need to succeed in digital marketing?
- How do you measure the success of a campaign?
- How do you ensure your email strategy aligns with the company’s overall messaging?
- How do you establish a positive and ongoing relationship with your audience?
- What tools do you use to monitor email analytics?
- What experience do you have running A/B tests and performing audience segmentation?
- Take me through a recent email campaign you managed. What was the outcome?
Social media marketing:
- What is the goal of social media marketing?
- How do you build online communities?
- What makes a piece of content likely to go viral?
- Which social channels do you have the most experience managing?
- Describe a recent social campaign you planned. What was the outcome?
- What analytics tools do you use to better understand your audience?
- How do you measure the success of social activities?
Interviewers also want to make sure you can make decisions, unite a marketing team, and influence cross-functional groups. The following questions might help understand your approach and experience to explore your ability to lead others:
- How would you describe your leadership style?
- What types of people do you work best with?
- How do you motivate people?
- How do you handle disagreements with a teammate?
- Describe a time when you influenced people who did not directly report to you.
- How often do you meet with cross-functional teams? How do you communicate the marketing team’s goals and progress to these groups?
- How do you communicate with senior leadership?