What is the difference between Chartered Institute of Marketing [CIM] and Digital Marketing Institute [DMI] marketing courses?
The Value of Professional Marketing Qualifications
It’s clear that adding a professionally recognised marketing qualification offers huge advantages to the student and their organisation. It’s much more than a badge of honour on your CV.
Undergoing the process of learning and applying time-served marketing principles elevates your thinking, helps you position marketing better within your organisation and ensures you become more valuable to your employer or as a self employed consultant.
So, if you’re considering your career development options, check out this comparison piece on the differences between CIM and DMI marketing qualifications.
About the Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM)
The Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM) is the leading international professional marketing body with some 41,000 members worldwide.
- First established in 1911, it has for over a century, defined the marketing professional standards that operate in the UK and is the global champion of best marketing practice.
- Marketers can earn the prestigious Chartered Marketer designation.
- The Chartered Institute of Marketing offers various qualifications, ranging from level 3 to level 7 – which is the equivalent of a Master’s degree.
- CIM qualifications are the most recognised of all schemes, and over a third of CIM graduates secure promotion or receive a pay rise within 12 months of graduating.
- For students or recent graduates, CIM has two level 3 Foundation Certificates to choose from – Professional Marketing and Professional Digital Marketing, depending on the career path you’re after.
- A CIM qualification, completed through an accredited study centre such as MMC Learning, is most commonly taken after the completion of a marketing or equivalent business related degree.
- CIM courses are modular so can be completed as quickly or slowly as your schedule allows.
All courses offer CPD points towards Chartered status.
- CIM qualifications are the most requested in job specifications on Indeed.
About the Digital Marketing Institute (DMI)
The DMI was founded in 2009 with a goal to become the global standard in Digital Marketing Certification. They support marketers achieve their learning ambitions and help them realise their full potential through providing 19 different bitesize, short and longer term course options.
- The DMI has a full learning portfolio that offers a range of study options for individuals and business corporate packages, with short and long study options that include professional qualifications, certificates and awards.
- Marketing qualifications are split across Professional qualifications, Expert qualifications, Master qualifications and Associate level courses.
- Professional level courses involve 30 hours tuition, done in your own time, regular assessment and a 180 question 3 hour examination.
- Expert level qualifications involve 130 hours tuition over a scheduled 44 week programme and two assessments.
- Master level qualifications involve taking a Masters level Digital Marketing qualification.
- Associate level covers much shorter bitesize courses on a number of specialist knowledge.
- DMI offers a community with over 175,000 members and courses are designed and reviewed by their global advisory board.
- All courses offer CPD points.
- DMI qualifications are requested by some employers on Indeed.
Different ways to learn
Almost everyone has a different learning style, so you need to find one that works for you. Some people prefer online learning, while others prefer face-to-face classes.
Chartered Institute of Marketing course delivery
CIM offers a variety of ways to learn including:
- Online learning – 100% distance learning – access hundreds of high-quality video learning lessons and download quick reading, knowledge PDF documents.
- Attend live webinars and join group discussion streams
- Expert tutor support – assignment briefing webinars & submit your draft work for each module for direct feedback.
- One-to-one support – dedicated team with quick responses supporting you on your learning journey.
- Accredited study centres back this up with hundreds of hours of additional learning resources and even more tailored 1-2-1 support from trainers and course leaders so students are never left to fend for themselves.
Digital Marketing Institute (DMI)
DMI offers a similar mix across their courses including
- Online: Self Study, via an always-on, always open portal, providing an engaging multimedia learning experience.
- Supporting content library
- Virtual Classroom: Live tutor and expert sessions
- Interactive exercise and practical exams to test skills.